FIVE CITIES – FIVE WORLD CHAKRAS
By Leoni Hodgson – July 2009
PMAFA, DMNZAS, MSE (Psych), PhD Esotericism
The etheric web underlies the physical body of man, and within the web there are seven main force centres through which energy is received from the outer world, distributed to the body, and then passed on. But the etheric centre is universal, underlying all strata of life upon all levels. In humanity, the force centres are represented by certain cities.
This essay explores statements made by Alice Bailey in her book “Destiny of the Nations”. She said that five cities in the world correspond to five etheric centres or chakras found in the human body. Bailey named the cities, but did not relate them to any particular chakras. Since then students have attempted to make this relationship, and good ideas have been presented by co-workers. This is another attempt.
1. Section of text to be analysed
- London – For the British Empire.
- New York – For the Western Hemisphere.
- Geneva – For Europe, including the U.S.S.R.
- Tokyo – For the Far East.
- Darjeeling – For India and the greater part of Asia. ((Destiny of the Nations p92))
The five cities .. are correspondence in the planetary body to the four centres up the spine and the Ajna Centre..”((Destiny of the Nations p102))
2. Overview of the etheric web and the seven major centres or chakras.
The etheric or fiery web of space, is the energy field upon which all forms in nature, are constructed. There are seven major centres or chakras in the etheric body. They receive energy from various sources (both higher and lower), and distribute these forces into the region of the body which they control. The higher centres – Head and Heart, receive and distribute force from the Monad and Soul, and distribute this to the Ajna Centre and lower centres which operate in the human worlds. The following list shows the co-relation between each chakra and man‘s nature.
|Head Centre||1000 petals||Monad. Spiritual Life. Will and Power.|
|Heart Centre||12 petals||Soul. Consciousness. Love and Wisdom.|
|Ajna Centre||96 petals||Integrated personality. Intelligent Activity.|
|Throat Centre||16 petals||Mind. Connects man to the mental plane.|
|Solar Plexus Centre||10 petals||Emotion. Connects man to the astral plane.|
|Sacral Centre||6 petals||Physical. [Sex, materialism((Glamour a World Problem p149))]|
|Centre at base of spine||4 petals||Life itself.((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p302))|
Primitive, average or intelligent man works only through the three lower centres, advanced man works through the higher centres. The evolutionary goal for man is to raise his consciousness gradually through the chakras, until self-control is anchored in the Crown or Head chakra, the centre controlled ultimately by the Monad. A parallel shift must occur in humanity collectively, and this will demonstrate through the chakra-cities.
Taking the influence of the chakras to another level, our topic concerns chakras which represent humanity as a whole. This means that, not only will people have a karmic connection with the chakra-city which governs their continent or region, but individuals will also have a strong connection to the city which represents the chakra, which they personally are focused in. For instance, sexual focus – connection to the sacral-city; emotional focus – connection to the emotional-city.
3. There are seven major centres in the etheric field, but only 5 cities are given. Why?
The following quote gives the clue.
The Law of Correspondences is operational here. We are told the 5th race is vitalising five centres. In the 6th race the sixth centre will be vitalised, and the seventh in the 7th Race. I have speculated about these two centres at the end of the paper.
4. Which five centres in the spine was Bailey referring to?
There are five spinal centres – base, sacral, solar plexus, heart and throat. But Bailey included the Ajna Centre in her list of five cities. One of the spinal centres is omitted. Which one? The answer to this question is found by studying the evolution through the chakras. A parallel development will take place in the cities.
Consciousness evolves through the chakras, by means of the Root Races
- In the 1st Root Race, the Base Chakra comes alive – it carries life to the physical form, and gives ―the will to live.‖ It has not yet opened – the serpent of matter lies coiled and asleep.
- In the 2nd Race, a connection is made to the Heart Centre in which the thread of life is anchored.
- In the 3rd Race the Sacral Centre fires up man‘s sexual and material cravings.
- In the 4th Race the Solar Plexus centre gives man his emotional desires.
- In the 5th, the Throat Centre awakens man‘s mind, and draws up Sacral Centre force. The Ajna Centre also begins to become active, producing integrated and creative personalities.((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p339))
- In the 6th Race, the Heart Centre is fully awakened, and draws up Solar Plexus force.((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p340)) The goal is love.((Esoteric Astrology p455))
- In the 7th Race the Crown centre awakens.((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p340)) It brings the Base Centre into full activity.((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p340)) The serpent Kundalini rises up the spine to the Crown, fusing all intermediary centres.((Esoteric Astrology p454)) The monad, the will of God, is in full control.
The clue to the centre which is to be omitted, is in the latter point. The Base Centre is the first to be awakened, but only partially – providing life force for the form nature. Then it is the last one to be fully aroused, after the head centre is fully awakened.
Bailey also said:
There is another minor point which has a bearing on this topic. It is the wording in the text. It says: “The five cities .. are the correspondence in the planetary body to the four centres up the spine…” The lowest chakra is called “the centre at the base of the spine”. It is not one of the centres “up” the spine.
# As a result I am hypothesising that the Base Chakra is omitted from Bailey’s list of five cities.
CITY – CHAKRA SELECTIONS, AND RATIONALE
1. Darjeeling – Ajna Centre
2. Geneva – Heart Centre
3. London – Throat Centre
4. New York – Solar Plexus
5. Tokyo – Sacral
In this section, I justify my selection for city – chakra allocation. Each city should demonstrate the qualities associated with the chakra which it represents, and so should the people in the region/ nation/ continent, which the chakra governs.
1. DARJEELING – Ajna Centre
According to Bailey, Darjeeling and Geneva are purer channels for spiritual force, making it easy to place them as the cities representing the two higher chakras in the list of five – the Ajna and the Heart. The Soul – the subjective force working through man, works through the higher centres. This leaves London, New York and Tokyo as candidates for the lower three chakras. The following quote is important:
Function of the Ajna Centre
Ajna Centre – fifth ray – Venus((Esoteric Astrology p517)). Ray four Harmony through Conflict Ajna Centre((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p521)). A point of transference((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p549)). The Ajna Centre, the point of the first fusion((Esoteric Healing p200)). The energy of the centre at the base of the spine must be raised and carried up the spinal column to the head centre, via the Ajna Centre((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p523)). The energy of the integrated personality is focussed through the Ajna Centre((Glamour a World Problem p250)). This centre is the controlling one in the personality life and from it goes all personality direction and guidance to the five lower centres which it synthesises((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p527)). The Ajna Centre relates the Spiritual Triad (the expression of the monad in the formless worlds) to the personality((Esoteric Healing p148)). The Ajna Centre of the Lord of the World is just beginning to express itself in a recognisable manner through the New Group of World Servers((Rays and Initiations p368)). Darjeeling: is ruled by Scorpio and has a second ray soul((Destiny of the Nations 93)); the force pouring through Darjeeling is Ray 1((Destiny of the Nations 98)).
Points which qualify Darjeeling as the Ajna Chakra:
1. Of the two cities, Geneva is the clear favourite for the Heart Chakra.
2. Venus (intelligent wisdom) rules the Ajna Centre, and its task is to take the mind, and transmute it into wisdom through love((Esoteric Astrology p127)). Spreading the Ageless Wisdom is India‘s/ Darjeeling‘s spiritual task. India “hides the light”((Destiny of the Nations p98)) of wisdom which others seek. Darjeeling is on the Wisdom Ray.Westerners such as Helena Blavatsky came, took and spread the light of wisdom to the world. As a consequence, great numbers of people look to India with love, as the source of spiritual enlightenment.
3. The Ajna centre (Darjeeling), is a fusion centre, it gathers in the force of the lower centres, fusing them into an integrated personality. This is being realised as spiritual seekers come from all parts of the globe to India.
To further this work, Darjeeling/ India needs to strengthen links with the lower centres – Geneva, New York and Tokyo. It already has a strong link to London, forged during the period of the British Raj. When synthesis occurs, then Darjeeling will transfer these energies to the head centre.
4. India‘s soul ray is 1, and this is the force also focused in Darjeeling. First ray force is centred in Shamballa – “the centre where the will of God is known”. Darjeeling‘s destiny as the global Ajna Centre, is to receive Shamballic force pouring from the global head centre.
Bailey said: “The keynote of India is “I hide the light” .. When the intent and purpose of the great Life which works through Shamballa is carried out and is in process of expression, a light will be revealed which has never yet been seen or known.. the Light of Life itself”((Destiny of the Nations p98-9)).
5. The Ajna Centre distributes Ray 4((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p521)). Scorpio governs Darjeeling, and it carries Ray 4((Destiny of the Nations p93)), the only one of the five cities to do so. This is apt, because Ray 4 rules the soul of the Orient((Destiny of the Nations p100)).
6. Darjeeling is the “youngest city” of the five, established in the 1800‘s during the British Raj, as a get-away from the summer heat on the plains. This fits with the fact that in the sequence of chakra development, the Ajna Centre is brought to full development after the lower centres. It is also a very small city compared to the others, perhaps reflecting the fact that the numbers of people on Earth who have integrated their personalities, and are fusing with their souls are also by comparison, a much smaller group.
7. Darjeeling is located in a most sacred place on earth – another reason why the Ajna Centre placement suits this city. The Hierarchy (or Brotherhood) reside in the Himalayas. They currently symbolise the head centre of humanity((Treatise on White Magic p276)). The Ajna Centre is close to the head centre. Darjeeling is very close to the Brotherhood. It nestles in the foothills of the Himalayas.
occultly “vibrating”, but this is in response to the relative nearness and propinquity of the Himalayan Brotherhood”((Externalisation of the Hierarchy p678)).
If the Crown Centre is the King Centre, then Darjeeling is its Queen. The latter is affectionately known as “the Queen of the Hills”((Travel Guru’s Mantras 20 March 2007)).
8. Darjeeling derives from ‘Dorjeeling’ meaning the place of the Dorjee. The famous Buddhist Monastery standing at the top of the Observatory hill was known by this name((http://www.exploredarjeeling.com/history.htm)). In Buddhism the vajra or dorje is the symbol of Vajrayana, one of the three major branches of Buddhism, the “Thunderbolt Way” or “Diamond Way” and can imply the thunderbolt experience of enlightenment((Wikipedia)).
The description given by Bailey for the Ajna Centre is:
9. Darjeeling/ India‘s Global Task
This is to act as an integrating and a spiritual maturing point for all the people of the world. The work of spreading the Ageless Wisdom has been going steadily forward for over a century, with excellent results. Darjeeling‘s closest ally in this work is London/ England, the hypothetical global Throat Centre. They are close because both England and Darjeeling have their souls on the Wisdom Ray. Additionally, the Power Ray is centred in London((Destiny of the Nations p97)), and it is the soul ray of India and the force centred in Darjeeling((Destiny of the Nations p97)). England was central in spreading the Ageless Wisdom emanating from India to the west, and this created the back-current of spiritual treks made by so many, back to India. Thus London (Throat) radiated the Wisdom to the lower centres, and is doing its job of transferring force back from the lower centres, to Darjeeling (Ajna).
2. GENEVA – Heart Chakra
The function of the Heart Centre:
Heart Centre – second ray – Sun((Esoteric Astrology p517)). Ray two Love-Wisdom Heart Centre((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p521)). The beautiful controls, via the Heart Centre((Esoteric Healing p569)). It is the organ of fusion((Esoteric Healing p160)). ―The new Group of World Workers, who.. constitute the Heart Centre and the “centre between the eyebrows” of the etheric body of the human family((Treatise on White Magic p589)). Geneva: is ruled by Leo and has a 1st Ray soul((Destiny of the Nations p93)); and it is expressing the 2nd Ray of Love Wisdom (ineffectually)((Destiny of the Nations p96)).
Points which qualify Geneva as the Heart Chakra:
1. The Heart Centre distributes the 2nd Ray of Love and Wisdom. This is the ray focused in Geneva, although its expression is ineffectual at present we are told. The map shows Switzerland‘s / Geneva‘s place at the “heart” of Europe.
2. The function of the Heart Centre is to spread love, and wisdom, and to bring people together in union and goodwill, so that they can be “fused” together in a harmonious relationship.
3. This is Geneva‘s spiritual task as well. Its esoteric motto is “I seek to fuse, to blend and serve. Today its name is synonymous with all these fine qualities. It is commonly called “The Peace Capital”, being a worldwide centre for diplomacy and international cooperation, and having numerous international organisations, including the headquarters of many of the agencies of the United Nations and the Red Cross. It is also the place where the Geneva Conventions were signed, which chiefly concern the treatment of wartime non-combatants and prisoners of war.
4. Geneva‘s exoteric motto “after the darkness, the light” was formulated during the Reformation, and it affirms the need to overcome the darkness of evil and ignorance and strive towards the light of justice and freedom. Thus in the Coat of Arms we see the Sun (Spirit) rising in victory – the Sun being the symbol of Leo, the sign governing Geneva‘s soul.
5. We also see a dragon in the Arms, a symbol of the power ray. Geneva has a Ray 1 Soul, which has enabled it to take the lead in international affairs.
6. Lake Geneva and Geneva itself are exceedingly beautiful. This is to be expected in a region which is a channel for Divine Love. Geneva is sometimes called the City on the Lake and water is related to compassion and love.
7. Geneva‘s Global Task
As the planetary Heart Centre, Geneva is progressing well, and has established itself as the world‘s peace centre. But it still has a long way to go. The global Heart is not destined to be fully operational until the next great race – the 6th, when the intuitional faculty is due to be developed by man as a whole. As the Heart Centre, it obviously has a global function, but its particular job, is to raise energy from the Solar Plexus centre, to itself. In other words, to help man rise above his personal selfish desires and become more inclusive and selfless with the whole. From this angle, it has a special relationship with New York / the USA, the hypothetical Solar Plexus centre. In the last decade or so, the USA has attempted to circumvent some of the humanitarian laws connected with Geneva and the United Nations, indicating that the flow between the global Heart and Solar Plexus is not yet flowing.
3. LONDON – Throat Centre
Function of the Throat Centre
Throat Centre – third ray – Saturn/ Earth((Esoteric Astrology p517)). In Aryan days, the Throat Centre is being rapidly awakened((Esoteric Healing p169)). A point of transference((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p549)). The Ajna Centre focusses the abstracted energy of the five centres up the spine and is the seat of personality power((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p553)). the Ajna Centre (the synthesis of the personality forces, when highly developed)((Esoteric Healing p172)). The energy of the centre at the base of the spine must be raised and carried up the spinal column to the head centre, via the Ajna Centre((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p523)). The Ajna Centre relates the Spiritual Triad (the expression of the monad in the formless worlds) to the personality((Esoteric Healing p148)). The Ajna Centre of the Lord of the World is just beginning to express itself in a recognisable manner through the New Group of World Servers((Rays and Initiations p368)). London: ruled by Gemini and has a 2nd ray soul((Destiny of the Nations p93)); Ray 1 of Will and Power is focused in London in its building aspect((Destiny of the Nations p97)).
Points which qualify London as the Throat Chakra:
1. The Ray 3 influence which flows through the Throat Chakra generally, is more pronounced in London than it is in New York or Tokyo. Ray 3 is the most busy and active ray, and so is Gemini, the sign which rules London. Throughout its history, London has been the most busy and active city – throwing its net wide to colonise, to trade, to plunder and populate. A great commercial centre, it is considered by some to be the number one financial centre in the world today((www.louisgroupint.com/…/financialservices200712/GlobalFinIndex.pdf)).
Ray 3 develops the intelligence, and Gemini is the communications sign. The British scholastic system – epitomised by the famous colleges Eton, Cambridge and Oxford, have set the standard for the western world. Another important fact which gives weight to London being the Throat Centre, is that the English language is undoubtedly the universal tongue.
2. The Throat Centre is a transference centre – receiving energies and passing them on, and London has been criss-crossed by many people and races throughout its long history. Additionally, its citizens are highly mobile, they are travellers, pioneers, merchants and traders.
3. This centre is also a “fusing” centre, and London is the centre of a Commonwealth of Nations, fused from many disparate races.
4. Until relatively recently, England was the world‘s superpower – a consequence of the Ray 1 Will and Power influence. Even today it wields considerable clout internationally. The Tower of London, the “White Tower”, is a manifestation of this ray, and perhaps is a distorted reflection of Shamballa((Externalisation of the Hierarchy p407 LH: the 1st Ray is associated with Shamballa.)), the “White City”.
5. Saturn rules the Throat Centre and “British reserve”, “keeping a stiff upper lip”, all Saturnian type qualities, are legendary.
Saturn also rules Law and Order, and The Magna Carta 1215, the great Charter of Freedoms, is widely viewed as one of the most important legal documents in the history of democracy, and the basis upon which English Law is founded. Additionally, English Law is the system used in most Commonwealth countries and in the USA. It has set the standard for the “civilised” world.
6. London‘s exoteric motto, seen on its Coat of Arms is “Lord, guide us”. The esoteric motto is simply “I serve”((Destiny of the Nations p97)). Bailey said: “It is the service of the whole which is being attempted and at great cost.. Hence the fact that the governments of many nations found asylum in Great Britain during the war”((Destiny of the Nations p97)).
The gathering in of people and nations who are suffering, is typically a Ray 2 function, and London has a Ray 2 soul.
Fighting for the higher principle came at a great cost. In fact challenging Germany to war, broke England economically. It became indebted to the USA. The act was a great sacrifice. Being willing to fight – and if necessary to die for a principle, is seen in London‘s Coat of Arms. It has the St. George Cross at its centre. St. George reputedly was the martyred soldier of the church, and the cross is the universal symbol of sacrifice.
But there are also two powerful dragons present, and they are symbols of the Power Ray. This strength will be needed, because London‘s spiritual goal is to establish a world order of intelligent justice and fair economic distribution.
The energies of the lower chakras are subject to two stages of transference: from the sacral into the solar plexus, then to the Throat Centre((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p531)). Then the Throat Centre passes the energies on to the Ajna. Not only does London have a special relationship with Darjeeling, it also has with New York / the USA. There is a great trust and affection between these two nations – they both have their souls on the Love and Wisdom Ray. They are ashramic siblings. All this indicates that the transfer of energy from the Solar Plexus to the Throat is progressing well. London is doing its job.
4. NEW YORK – the Solar Plexus Centre
Function of the Solar Plexus Centre
Solar Plexus Centre – sixth ray – Neptune / Mars((Esoteric Astrology p517)). The sixth ray influence served to attract men’s minds towards an ideal, such as that of individual sacrifice or service((Esoteric Psychology vol. 1 p358)). Desire (emotional or astral sentiency) enters into the physical body, via the Solar Plexus Centre. This relates the man to the entire astral plane, and therefore to the world of glamour((Esoteric Healing p429)). A point of transference((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p549)), A “fusing” centre((Esoteric Healing p149)). In Atlantean days, it was brought to a high stage of development((Esoteric Healing p169)). The solar plexus must do two things: 1. Blend and fuse the energies of the lower two centres of force, and 2. Raise these fused energies and so, blending with the energies of the other and higher centres, reach the head((Treatise on White Magic p98)). The awakening of the Heart Centre and the shift of the solar plexus energy into that centre((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p339)). The Solar Plexus Centre is the most potent, being the clearing house for the personality forces((Esoteric Healing p127)). The Jews; they, as a whole, constitute the solar plexus of the planetary Logos((Externalisation of the Hierarchy p87)). Pluto functions in connection with the solar plexus. New York: ruled by Cancer with a 2nd ray soul((Destiny of the Nations p93)); the 6th ray is expressing through New York((Destiny of the Nations p97)), and the personality ray of the USA is the 6th((Destiny of the Nations p59)).
Points which qualify New York as the Solar Plexus Chakra:
1. The astral Ray 6 flows through the Solar Plexus Centre. It is the personality ray of the USA, and is the force centred in New York. Compared to British reserve, and oriental inscrutability, Americans are visibly the most emotional (in the author‘s opinion). Of the three nation centres of Tokyo, London and New York, the latter is the outstanding favourite for the Solar Plexus Centre.
2. The astral plane is the “water plane”, and the heart of New York – Manhattan, is surrounded by water. There is more water surrounding New York as a whole than any of the other cities.
3. New York is the place where two rivers meet (East and Hudson) and merge. [See diagram]. Bailey refers to two streams of energy which meet and merge in the Solar Plexus.
6. The solar plexus is a great clearing house. The USA has taken millions of immigrants and refugees from other countries, and absorbed and expunged their pain and suffering.
7. Eventually, Solar Plexus Centre energy must be raised into theHeart Centre. The success of this can be gauged by the relationship between the USA and Geneva, and the USA and the United nations, which has its largest office outside NY based in Geneva. We will know when global solar plexus energy is being successfully transferred to the Heart Chakra, when the US begins to seriously honour human rights laws and principles, in deed and act.
8. Bailey said that the Jewish Race symbolised the Solar Plexus Centre, and this accounts for the attraction which New York holds for Jews. According to a new American Jewish Year Book survey, there are currently 6.4 million Jews in the United States; about one million more than in Israel, and the greatest number live in New York – 1,618,000((http://www.allbusiness.com/middle-east/israel/3993296-1.html)). It is one of the world’s major concentrations of Jewish population.
9. The Solar Plexus Chakra has ten petals the number on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty.
10. Mars and Neptune govern the 6th Ray and also Piscean Age fundamentalist religions. Mars creates resentment and a desire to kill or defeat the “unbeliever”. This partially explains the war between the USA – with its powerful fundamentalist religions, and Muslim, another fundamentalist faith.
This was a Plutonic event – Pluto unleashes the destructive force of Ray 1, and we are told that Pluto begins to affect the Solar Plexus Chakra when a man (or humanity) is coming alive spiritually.
12. New York‘s Global Task.
As the hypothetical Solar Plexus centre, New York/ the USA‘s important task is to exert a positive effect upon Tokyo/ Japan, the Sacral Centre. to fuse the lower chakra with itself. The relationship has been both difficult and special. They both have the reactive Idealism and Devotional Ray in their makeup, and while they fight, they are also drawn to each other. In WWII, the fight for dominance between these two centres was finalised when the USA dropped an atom bomb on Japan. This was probably a re-enactment of a war in Atlantis. After the war, Japan adopted many of America‘s democratic principles, and became more open and positively involved with the world community. This is evidence that Solar Plexus – Sacral fusion is taking place. The United States is helping to “lift” Japan, and the world, spiritually.
5. TOKYO – SacralCentre
Function of the Sacral Centre
Sacral Centre – seventh ray – Uranus((Esoteric Astrology p517)). In Lemurian times.. the Sacral Centre was the controlling factor((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p339)). The energy of the Sacral Centre (governing the sexual life and the organs of physical creation) must be raised to the Throat Centre((Esoteric Psychology vol. 2 p523)). Animal desire for the satisfaction of the animal appetites, material desire for possession and for the luxuries of existence, the longing for “things,” for comforts and for security — economic, social and religious — control the majority. The man is under the influence of the densest form of maya, and the forces of his nature are concentrated in the Sacral Centre((Glamour a World Problem p149)). Low grade animal type of men((Esoteric Healing p45)). Tokyo: ruled by Cancer with a 6th Ray Soul; and focus for the destructive side of Ray 1.
Points which qualify Tokyo as the Sacral Chakra:
1. This is the most unevolved of the five chakras, and Japan is the only 4th Root Race centre of the five cities. The rest are all 5th Root Race. This means that the behaviour of the citizens of the Sacral Centre city and country, would in some regards be less “developed” than that of people from the other chakra cities. This should be more evident in sexual behaviour which this chakra rules. The brutal treatment of the Japanese towards “comfort women” is a good example.
a. “Comfort women” is a tem applied to women who worked in Japanese military brothels, especially those women who were forced into prostitution as a form of sexual slavery by the Japanese military during World War II. It is estimated that only 25 percent of the comfort women survived and that most were unable to have children as a consequence of the multiple rapes or the disease they contracted. According to Japanese soldier Yasuji Kaneko “The women cried out, but it didn’t matter to us whether the women lived or died. We were the emperor’s soldiers. Whether in military brothels or in the villages, we raped without reluctance.” Beatings and physical torture were said to be common.((http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women#cite_ref-37))
b. The accounts of Japanese barbarity and cruelty during WWII is harrowing – shootings, beheadings, crucifixion, disembowelment, medical experiments, rape torture, were common. Scholar Yuki Tanaka said that battlefield stress and military tradition conspired with cultural and historical factors to turn ordinary soldiers into war criminals((Hidden Horrors: Japanese War Crimes in WWII, Yuki Tanaka)). Obviously this does not apply to the whole race, but consciousness reveals its true colours when it believes there will be no consequences for its actions.
2. The Sacral Centre is ruled by Uranus, which shatters substance, and brings change and chaos It has left its stamp on Tokyo. Read the following descriptions.
Tokyo is a city that’s equally remarkable for its acres of bland concrete and garish neon. This fact prompted Donald Richie, the peerless commentator on modern Japan, to once describe Tokyo as “a monstrous, magical capital of kitsch, pulsing with the trendy, the bogus, the marvellous”.((http://www.visi.co.za/FrontEnd/InsideAndLifestyle.aspx?NewsID=25&CatID=19&ImgID=48)).
4. The ray most commonly associated with the Sacral is the 7th Ray of physical manifestation, and its colour is purple, the background colour of the flag.
5. Tokyo‘s Global Task.
On the broader stage, Tokyo‘s purpose is to continue to develop close ties with the United States particularly, and integrate more openly with the world community as a whole.
6. The Sixth and Seventh Centres.
Bailey said that two centres (LH: the 6th and 7th) are relatively quiescent as far as any world effect is concerned, and that one will one day be found in Africa, and one in the region of Australia many millions of years later((Destiny of the Nations p96)).
It seems that the last two centres to be fully awakened are the Heart and Head, PLUS the Base Centre is opened. (See section “Consciousness evolves through the chakras, by means of the Root Races”). Geneva has already been named as the Heart Centre, and if this is correct it will come into its full power in the next round in the Sixth Root Race. This leaves the Head and Base Centre locations to be identified – I am assuming that it is to these two centres that Bailey was referring to in the previous quote. The question then arises – which centre will be found in Australia and which in Africa?
On the surface it seems quite clear – Africa / base; Australia / head.
The most undeveloped continent and people are found in Africa, and we are told that the base of the spine is practically entirely quiescent or undeveloped.. Additionally, Africa is called the Cradle of Man and of Civilization. Man first walked here. It seems fitting that the lowest and most mysterious centre, housing the fire of matter – kundalini or serpent fire((Treatise on Cosmic Fire p183)) would be found on this dark and mysterious continent.
This would leave Australia to present the head centre. It is a suitable candidate. It is a modern western democracy, and is spiritually advanced – we are told that along with New Zealand and west USA, the 6th subrace of the Aryan Race is being founded there. So is an advanced esoteric school of meditation. The opening of the centre in Australia may be millions of years away yet, but the sort of development one would expect in the region surrounding the Crown Chakra – the avenue through which the Monad approaches the personality life, can be seen in the people of this southern continent.
Or could the reverse be the case? – Africa/ head; base/ Australia.
The order of chakra unfoldment is the head centre first, and then finally the base is opened, which is when serpent fire or kundalini rises. Could this mean that the Head Centre will be found in Africa, and the Base in Australia? There is one compelling reason why this reversal may be correct, and it is called Uluru. To the Aborigines of Australia Uluru means “Serpent of the Rock”.((http://www.mysteriousaustralia.com/aboriginal_uru.html))
Uluru is a massive sandstone rock in central Australia that is sacred to the Aborigines of the area. Rising 346 meters high, with a circumference of 9.4 kilometers and covering an area of 3.33 square kilometers, Uluru is the single largest rock outcropping in Australia. It has a distinct red colour which is enhanced at sunset or dawn. Red is the colour commonly associated with the Base Chakra.
Australia is a remnant of the ancient land of Lemuria, upon which the 3rd Root Race lived 98, and the Australian Aborigines are remnants of this Lemurian race((“Lemuria … the present Australia is but a portion of it.”Secret Doctrine p328. HPB.)) and the Australian Aborigines are remnants of this Lemurian race((“Behold the relics of.. Lemuria.. in some of the.. aborigines of Australia” (who) belong to the last remnants of the Seventh Sub-race of the Third (Race)”. Secret Doctrine p328, HPB)). Bailey said that in Lemuria days, the religion was based around the serpent, the result of the influence of the Dragon constellation.
Aboriginal myths tell of a powerful and dangerous serpent of sometimes enormous size who descended from that larger being visible as a dark streak in the milky-way. It reveals itself to people in this world as a rainbow as it moves through water and rain, bringing life, death and change((Wikipedia)). To the people living around Uluru, it is the Intelligent Snake from the `higher spirit realms` who conjured up a great rainbow down which it slithered to earth. To them the snake symbolises fertility, and is the `father and mother` of all living creatures((http://www.religious-tourism.com/other_pilgrimages.htm)).
There seems to be link between the serpent energy of the Dragon constellation (Base Chakra in the larger scheme), and with Australian Aborigines and their serpent myths and art, and with Uluru “The Serpent of the Rock” – a large red monolith rooted in the heartland of Australia, a remnant of Lemuria. Is the global base chakra in Australia? Is Uluru the location from which planetary kundalini will arise in millions of years time?
Finally, and referring back to the Solar Plexus Chakra and its task of synthesising the lower two centres with itself. I mentioned the work being done between the USA and Japan, but I did not refer to the Base Centre. The relationship between and Australia (hypothetical Base) and the USA (Solar Plexus) is very close. If I am correct in my placement of chakra-cities, this is the way it should be.
Regarding the Centre in Africa Bailey said that Southern Africa (along with Southern America) will have its day in the next cycle((Letters on Occult Meditation p309)). That Africa ―will take its place as a great centre of cultural light, shining within a civilized land”((Problems of Humanity p110)). During this period presumably “several centuries ahead”, Africa may become the seat of “the purest form of occult teaching and living”.((Problems of Humanity p107)). It seems quite plausible that Bailey could be referring to the location of the global Head Centre.
All this work is speculative, but I have tried to build on what I see to be evidence for my selections. I enjoyed the exercise. LH
Unless otherwise marked, the following references are from Alice A. Bailey‟s books.